As a mountain town, there are a variety of Cashiers, NC activities and attraction for visitors all year round. Nature enthusiasts can hike, fish and more in the surrounding forests, state parks and lakes. Golfers can enjoy challenging courses with mountain views. In the winter, ski and snow activities are available nearby. Art and history lovers can visit museums and galleries. Shopping and dining options can also be found in town. Outdoor activities, live music, festivals and events are also available. Cashiers is a destination that offers visitors the chance to enjoy nature, sports and culture in one place.
Explore the Great Outdoors
Cashiers is surrounded by beautiful mountains and forests, providing endless opportunities for outdoor activities such as hiking and visiting nearby state and local parks to appreciate the natural beauty of the area. Some popular hiking destinations in the area include:
- Panthertown Valley: This valley offers more than 30 miles of hiking trails through the heart of the Nantahala National Forest. There are trails that lead to waterfalls, along rivers and creeks, and to the top of nearby peaks. It’s a great spot for a day hike or overnight camping trip.
- Gorges State Park: This state park offers more than 10 miles of trails including the park’s most popular trail, Rainbow Falls Trail, which leads to a waterfall. The park also offers a variety of other activities like fishing and picnicking.
- The Cashiers Sliding Rock Trail: This trail is a short and easy hike to a scenic waterfall and a natural water slide where visitors can slide down the rock and cool off in the swimming hole.
- Cullasaja Gorge Trail: This trail offers a beautiful hike through the Gorge. It is an easy hike and it’s a good option for families or visitors who have limited time but still want to experience the beauty of the area.
- Whiteside Mountain: This mountain is located in the Nantahala National Forest and it’s known for its vertical cliffs and sweeping views. It’s a steep hike, but the reward is the view from the summit.
Keep in mind that many of the hiking trails in the area are located in wilderness areas and can be rugged, steep, and remote. It’s always recommended to check trail conditions, wear appropriate footwear and clothing, bring enough water and food, and inform someone of your plans before.
Enjoy on water
Cashiers, North Carolina, is located near a number of bodies of water where visitors can enjoy a variety of water activities, such as fishing and boating. Some popular places to go for these activities include:
- Lake Glenville: This man-made lake is one of the highest-elevated lakes east of the Mississippi River and offers great fishing opportunities for various species of fish such as trout, bass, and crappie. Boating and water skiing are also popular activities on the lake.
- Cullasaja River: This river is a perfect spot for fly-fishing, where anglers can catch native trout such as brook and brown. This river also have several boat launches, which can be used for different types of watercraft, including canoes and kayaks.
- Panthertown Valley: This valley is home to several streams and creeks that offer excellent fishing opportunities. Panthertown Creek and Greenland Creek are particularly popular among fly-fishermen for their healthy population of brook and rainbow trout.
- Nantahala National Forest: There are many fishing opportunities in the Nantahala National Forest, from large lakes like Fontana to small mountain streams. Visitors can fish for brook, brown, and rainbow trout as well as bass, bream and other species of fish.
- The nearby towns like Highlands, Brevard, and Sylva offer more options for boating, fishing, and other water activities like rafting.
Tee off in the Mountains
The area offers several golf courses, challenging greens and fairways with breathtaking mountain views, and perfect weather. Some popular golf courses in the area include:
- Sapphire National Golf Club: This premier 18-hole golf course, designed by renowned architect Tom Fazio, offers a challenging layout, beautiful mountain views, and well-manicured greens for players of all skill levels. Amenities include a full-service pro-shop, practice facility, restaurant, and event facilities.
- Highlands Country Club: This semi-private club features an 18-hole, par 70 course, with a challenging layout that is set among the rolling hills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The course offers great views of the mountains and offers a golf pro shop and lessons.
- Mountain Glen Golf Course: A challenging 18-hole, par 72 golf course, with a great mountain views. It’s known for its well-manicured greens and the course is laid out through the natural terrain of the surrounding area. It’s considered one of the most challenging courses in the region.
- Country Club of Sapphire Valley: This 18-hole, par 72 course, is set in a beautiful mountain valley and is known for its well-manicured greens and great mountain views. The course offers a pro shop, lessons, and more amenities.
- Cullasaja Club: The 18-hole championship course is located in the Cullasaja Club, a gated community, the course is situated on high elevations and features dramatic mountain views, challenging greens, and well-manicured fairways.
Discover the local shops and boutiques of Cashiers, offering a wide range of gifts, souvenirs, handmade crafts, and more. Here are a few places to shop:
- The Cashiers Farmers Market: A local market that offers a variety of fresh produce, artisanal foods, and handmade crafts from local farmers and vendors.
- The Cashiers Area Visitors Center: A shop that offers souvenirs, books, and other items related to the area.
- The Nantahala Outdoor Center: A premier outdoor recreation and education facility that offers a retail store that sells a wide variety of outdoor gear, clothing, and accessories from top brands.
- Mountain Heritage Center: A museum store that offers a wide range of items that reflect the history and culture of the area such as artisan crafts, books, and souvenirs.
- Antique shops: The area has a few antique shops that offer a variety of vintage items including furniture, pottery, and other decorative items.
Hit the Slopes
Sapphire Valley Ski Area is a ski resort located in Sapphire Valley, North Carolina, which is near Cashiers. The ski area offers a variety of winter activities for visitors, including:
- Skiing and Snowboarding: The ski area has slopes for skiers and snowboarders of all skill levels, from beginner to advanced. The ski area is also equipped with a ski rental and ski school to assist visitors who are new to skiing or snowboarding.
- Snow tubing: The ski area has several snow tubing lanes which is a great activity for visitors of all ages.
- Cross-country skiing: Visitors can also enjoy cross-country skiing in the ski area. There are several trails available for visitors to explore the area on skis or snowshoes.
- Ice-skating: The ski area offers an outdoor ice-skating rink for visitors to enjoy during the winter months.
Sapphire Valley also has other winter activities like snowshoeing and hiking.
Cashiers offer a wide range of dining options, from casual to fine dining, for a memorable culinary experience. Some that are well-regarded include:
- The Orchard: for American cuisine options in a relaxed, fine-dining atmosphere.
- The Library Kitchen + Bar: for a farm-to-table restaurant that serves seasonally-inspired dishes made with locally-sourced ingredients, in a fine-dining atmosphere.
- The Zookeeper Bistro: for a casual dining restaurant that offers a variety of American cuisine options and a laid-back atmosphere.
- Whiteside Brewing Company: for a craft brewery that offers a variety of beers brewed from the freshest ingredients and also provides a taproom where visitors can taste and purchase their brews, in a casual and cozy atmosphere.
- The Ugly Dog Public House: for a variety of American cuisine options, a full bar, and live music on certain nights, in a casual and cozy atmosphere.
- Chile Loco: for a Mexican restaurant that serves authentic and flavorful Mexican food, with a full bar and lively atmosphere.
Experience the Nightlife
There are a few options for those looking to enjoy the nightlife in the area:
- Bars and Pubs: The town has a few bars and pubs where visitors can enjoy a drink and socialize with locals. Some popular options include The Whiteside Brewing Company and Chile Loco.
- Live Music: Some local venues, like The Village Green Commons and The Ugly Dog Public House, offer live music on certain nights of the week where visitors can listen to local and regional musicians and enjoy a drink or two.
- Outdoor activities: Some nightlife activities can include stargazing or campfire at the state parks or recreational areas or drive around in the Blue Ridge Parkway for scenic views.
- Festivals and events: Cashiers hosts many events throughout the year, from music festivals to art shows, which can offer a great opportunity to experience the local culture and nightlife.
Have Fun with the Family
Cashiers has a wide variety of activities to choose from, families are sure to have an unforgettable time together in this picturesque mountain town. Families can check out the Sapphire Valley Recreational Center which includes a mini-golf course, indoor swimming pool, game room with ping-pong, billiards, and arcade games. Additionally, the Cashiers Valley Visitor Center offers a small arcade area with classic games that are sure to delight kids and adults alike.
Discover Cashiers History
Cashiers, North Carolina, is home to a number of museums, historical sites, and art galleries that visitors can visit to learn about the area’s history and culture. Some popular options include:
- The Cashiers Historical Society: A local historical society that preserve and promote the history of the Cashiers area. They offer tours of the local historical buildings including the Taylor-Bryson House and the Macon County Heritage Center.
- The Macon County Heritage Center: A museum with interactive exhibits that illustrate the history of Macon County from prehistoric times to the present day.
- The Mountain Heritage Center: A museum located on the campus of Western Carolina University in nearby Cullowhee. It has exhibits on the natural and cultural history of the southern Appalachian region.
- The Folk Art Center: This center features the work of traditional and contemporary southern mountain craftspeople including potters, weavers, quilters, and woodworkers.
- The Tuckasegee River Valley Historical Society: a historical society that collect, preserve, and share the stories of the people and communities of the Tuckasegee River Valley and surrounding areas.
- Gallery at Waters Creek: An art gallery featuring the works of local artists. The Gallery at Waters Creek offers a wide range of artworks including paintings, sculptures, and photography.